StataCorp is seeking a documentation specialist to work on our flagship product, Stata. Stata is used by hundreds of thousands of researchers of all disciplines and provides features for all their data science needs: data manipulation, visualization, statistics, and automated reporting.
This is an opportunity to oversee the production of the Stata documentation and help files, which clearly explain the software to a wide variety of users. Stata is a big package; thus, it has a lot of documentation -- over 17,000 pages in 33 volumes.
- Review documents written by development staff. Interact with the developers who created the software to ensure clear, concise, and user-friendly documentation is produced.
- Ensure the documents follow the style and format set forth by Stata -- Stata style is similar to the Chicago Manual of Style.
- Work with Stata's technical editors to ensure grammar and punctuation are correct and text is concise and clear.
- Test examples using Stata software to ensure the output matches that being documented.
- Format help files to match the PDF documentation. Stata help files are written in a markup language developed by StataCorp, called Stata Markup and Control Language.
- Support multiple projects simultaneously. Software updates are continually being made; each software project includes documentation and help files. These individual projects are then compiled into a new or existing complete manual.
- Ensure the subject index of all 33 volumes of Stata documentation appears cohesively, without duplicated terms.
- Experience with TeX, LaTeX, XeTeX, or comparable package
- Familiarity with project management
- Proficient typing and editing skills
- Data organization skills
- Technical documentation skills
- Attention to detail
- A statistical background
- Strong technical and organization skills
- Experience working on project teams
- Good communication skills, including the ability to write and speak in English
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- Experience level: 5-7 years of experience in project management, technical documentation, or technical editing
StataCorp offers competitive pay with an excellent benefits package in a fun, family-friendly work environment. Employees work only 4 weekdays (32 hours), enjoying a great work–life balance.
StataCorp LLC is an Affirmative Action Employer — Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability